Warmer weather has arrived, which means it is time to bring out the shorts, t-shirts and maxi dresses. You booked your photo session with Kellyn Wilson Photography and now you are stressing about what to wear! No fear! I am here to help you from start to finish! Below are my Top 7 Tips for deciding what to wear for your photo session!
What is the purpose of the photoshoot?
This should be your first thought when deciding what to wear. Choose an appropriate outfit for the occasion and something that suits your personality.
Keep the location and season in mind
Where is the photoshoot taking place? Choose an outfit that will keep you feeling comfortably and confident. For example, if you’re on a beach, those new high heels might not be the most logical choice and you might end up looking a bit out of place.
Mix and Match
Don’t be afraid to wear patterns or prints for your photosession but keep them to a minimum and try to pair them with solid colors. If you’re having a family photo session for example, have two family members in printed items and two in solid colors. Play with different colors to match the mood and setting of the shoot.
Make your photos Timeless
You might love that trendy top or pair of pants now but will your photos stand the test of time if you wear that item of clothing?
What to do about make-up?
This would depend on the type of photos you are taking. Fashion shoots will call for more dramatic makeup but for your everyday maternity, family or portrait shoots, keep your makeup natural and to a minimum.
Fit is more important then you think
If you already have an outfit in mind for your shoot, try it on before the time to make sure that it fits correctly and compliments your body type. Choose pieces that flatter your form. Wide, loose clothing items accentuate, and can make parts of the body look larger. Instead, choose items that show off waistlines and necklines to give shape to your body.
What Not to Wear…Don’t
1. MATCH! Please please…gone are the days where everyone is wearing kaki pants and white shirts!
2. Have everyone in the exact same color!
3. Have your boys where a stuffy suit and tie and girls in an uncomfortable dress with fluff and frills. If the person is uncomfortable, it will show in the photos! Also, if everyone is looking very formal then the photos will not come across as natural.
4. Wear shirts with logos or distracting photos on them. What I mean is shirts with the words “GAP”, “OLD NAVY”, comic book characters, etc. This is just distracting for the photo and takes away from the timeless look. If that is the look you want then I may not be the photographer for you.
5. Wearing sneakers with better yet muddy and old sneakers! When a family neglects their choice of shoes, it throws the whole picture off. Rightly said by Ryan Gosling in Crazy, Stupid Love, “Are you in a fraternity? Are you Steve Jobs, the billionaire CEO of Apple? No? Then you have no reason to wear your New Balance or Niki shoes .
Remember to have fun on your photoshoot, be yourself and let’s capture the memories!